Judges/Categories for next season

12

Judges/Categories for next season

BJKAAVE
This post was updated on .
So this is kind of premature (well, very premature) but what categories do you think each judges will get next year, assuming its the same judges which I kind of hope it is?

Mel B: Under 25 Boys- Since she lost all her acts first this year, why not give her the easiest category next year?  This is the only category where you are guaranteed to have at least one contestant in the Top 3.

Natalie: Under 25 Girls- They may push for a girl to win next year and for one of the female judges to win since they basically pushed really hard for Guy to be the winning mentor because it would look bad for one of the new judges to win in their first year while a mentor who had been there for two years still haden't mentored a winning act.  Also, Mel got this category this time so that leaves Nat unless they want to make things different and have a male judge mentor the girls, which is possible since Simon did it in the USA version this year, but they are trying to push for a girl to finally win one of these things again and Simon would want to be the winning mentor in the first season of the show.

Guy: Groups- Well he had such an easy run this year so next year give him the hardest category where you have to work the hardest while it most probably will not pay off in the end.
In fact it would be justice for this year if Guy loses all his acts in the first three weeks, I'd be stoked if that happened.  Well, only if all his acts are crap to be fair.  Though it'd wipe the s  t faced grin off his head and stop the bragging about being such a great mentor, because its not like the show pushed hard this year for you to be the winning mentor and ensure you kept all your acts the longest or anything grahhh!  I have never liked Guy's songs much but I have always respected him personally and as a musician but this season has really turned me off him.

Ronan: Over 25's- He won with them the first time around so they may give them to him again.  He will be ropable next year though if he loses all his acts before the final again.

What do you guys think?

Re: Judges/Categories for next year

Martin
Guy's had groups and boys so far, I'm thinking he might get the over 25's to make it *supposedly* harder for him to win two years in a row, than if he had the girls. But in fact the over 25s next year *should* have Tara-Lynn in it, so it's already looking like a good bet.
Ronan's had the overs and groups so far, and it's about time he got the boys.
That leaves just the girls and the groups, and since Mel B had the girls this year, that means groups for her, and girls for Nat.
How's my deduction?

Re: Judges/Categories for next year

BJKAAVE
Yeah that sounds reasonable Martin and hopefully the Over 25's do have Tara Lynn although the formula for the Over 25's seems to be (from the two seasons we have seen) that there is only one female in the category and she seems destined to be an early elimination.  Maybe they could make it like the US version and have an Over 30's or like last year's UK version when they had an Over 28's (they changed it back to Over 25's for this year though) and then Tara Lynn would be in the Girls category again, which would be better since women in the Overs don't seem to last too long in our version.

Then again, Amanda Grafanakis's voice had nothing on Tara Lynn's and Cleo was just really forgettable so it could have just been them.

Oh also, in theory the groups sound like a good option for Mel but since she lost all her acts before Top 5 this year, would they really give her the one category that can't seem to make the final no matter how good they are next year?
(At least a girl was runner-up last year even if they were all gone before Final 5 this year, so it seems like the groups are the category to give a judge you want to bus)

Re: Judges/Categories for next year

Martin
Mel's problem is she can't pick decent songs for any of her acts this year. The only time one of her girls really shone was when she picked her own song (Zombie).

I usually think groups are the best thing going for X Factor, it's a shame they don't seem to attract the multiple-voting type of fans.

Re: Judges/Categories for next year

Mopshell
I've been thinking about this for a while and I believe my conclusions are the same as Martin's:

Ronan: Boys under 25 (because he's had both Over 25s and Groups so time for a change)

Natalie: Girls under 25 (she'll be able to communicate more happily with peeps nearer her own age and hopefully she'll find contestants who she'll feel confident about mentoring because they're not more mature or more experienced than her)

Guy: Over 25s (and hopefully he will get Tara-Lynn because he's one of the more competent mentors musically)

Mel B: Groups (she was really picky about the groups this year - had a go at everyone - so now she can do what she wants with them)

I hope all four of them do return next year. I did wonder about Mel B's comment in the final, when she said she'll miss it and would love to come back next year but only if she's paid 3X more. Can't see the latter being likely (and what did she do this year to justify any kind of pay rise? She was the first to lose all her contestants, for crying out loud; she even managed to lose finalist-favourite Christina!) So Mel B might have been trying out her get-out-of-contract excuse just in case she doesn't return next year.

Re: Judges/Categories for next year

BJKAAVE
Mel B is apparently looking into buying a waterfront property in Sydney to live in for the second half of next year so it looks as though she may return but I did wonder about the comment she made about tripling the pay next year though, I mean she wouldn't have had much work to do for the last three weeks of the show would she.

Re: Judges/Categories for next year

BJKAAVE
What would be hilarious though is if Mel gets the Under 25 Boys next year and then loses all her acts first for the second time lol!
Although you would pretty much have to be trying to lose if you mentor the Boys and lose them all first and even if you were, it probably wouldn't work.

Re: Judges/Categories for next year

Martin
That's what I hoped would happen with Kyle's boys last year when even Kyle himself wondered in boot camp how he was ever going to find 3 boys decent enough to make up his finalists.

Re: Judges/Categories for next year

BJKAAVE
I know the boys last year were a piss weak categor but one of them still made the Top 3 in the end, so whoever gets them will be guaranteed to not be the first judges to lose all their acts.  I mean the girls this year weren't as good as last year as a category (once it got to live shows, tara Lynn would have strengthened the category) but they were in no way worse than last year's boys.

Re: Judges/Categories for next year

Mopshell
I didn't watch it with any great attention last year but I do recall thinking that the Under 25 Boys were by far the weakest category of the lot and being surprised that Andrew lasted through to the final.

Re: Judges/Categories for next year

BJKAAVE
This post was updated on .
Actually, I wonder if Natalie would even want to work with the Girls.  It seems not since she picked two men for her category this year and one girl who no psychic powers were needed to predict as the first to get eliminated from the Top 12.  I mean obviously Nat got to see more of Cleo than we did and she didn't get to see the audience reaction to her before picking her top 3 but the pretty girls with just above average voices never last very long on these shows, girls have to be amazing singers regardless of looks (Leona Lewis is a very pretty girl and Sally Chatfield is overweight but both made it all the way without being in the Bottom 2 on vocal merits) or be huge characters such as Katie Waissel from last years UK show, although she was Bottom 2 nearly every week and kept getting saved by the judges because she brought contreversy and stories to the show and to keep Cheryl Cole with the most acts.

There are very few exceptions to the rule of girls needing to be fantastic singers to win or at least get far.  The best example is last year's UK runner-up Rebecca Ferguson who I thought sounded awful when singing but was praised to the moon by the judges.  Then again, they were trying to promote "different" voices last year.

Another example is last year's India-Rose, who had a pretty weak voice but was pimped early on by the judges.  However, after her first Bottom 2 appearance, the judges made a complete turnaround and pretty much threw her to the crocs.

Wow do I spawn off into different topics?!

Re: Judges/Categories for next year

Martin
I've only watched the auditions and boot camp of last year's UK series and Rebecca is probably my fave so far. So there!

Ah well music is subjective, isn't it?
Although, if you were to tell me that Johnny Ruffo, Frankie Cocozza and Mitchell Smith were your favourites then I would say you had problems lol.

Re: Judges/Categories for next year

Mopshell
BJKAAVE wrote
I'd be recommending you get therapy as a  matter of necessity - and quickly!

Re: Judges/Categories for next year

BJKAAVE
Other suggestions for judges/categories next year:

I think Mopshell and Martin's ideas are actually better than my original ones and besides, I think Mel mentoring the Boys would be wierd.

Another person on the other forum suggested this for Nat and Guy to shake things up abit:

Guy: Under 25 Girls
Nat: Under 25 Boys

This might actually be interesting to watch if it would happen.  Can't remember their choices for Mel and Ronan but I would make it like this:

Ronan: Over 25's
Mel: Groups

Also a random thought, wouldn't the Girl's category from last year have been awsome if it was made up of Christina, Tara-Lynn and Sophia as a soloist?

They may still not have been able to get enough votes to win, but it sure would've been entertaining for me!
And I personally would've voted a lot more.

Re: Judges/Categories for next year

Martin
Oh and we wouldn't have lost out in the groups potential with Lazy J and Big Boy's group instead of Three Wishez.

Re: Judges/Categories for next year

BJKAAVE
Yeah Martin, they probably still would not have gotten enough votes for one of them to win but I doubt they would have all been gone before the Final 5.  That would be three potentials for a shock elimination, rather than two fodder girls and one shock elimination.

I wonder if Hype (Lazy J and Big Guy with the new girl Imelda) will come back again next year.  It would be the third attempt for Lazy J and Big Guy, so they would have to really want it badly.

Re: Judges/Categories for next year

Martin
I hope they come back. Unless they've got something better to do aye.

And the long struggle would help them get to the hearts of fans for looking like they've "done the hard yards" and "deserving it"
12