Aus X Factor Top 8 - 80s week

Martin
Jason Owen - “I’m Still Standing” (Elton John)
"Flighty" is the word that comes to mind. The vocal really lacked a depth of tone that might've made this a better match for him. Maybe he should've done some Johnny Cash, or even "She's Like The Wind" by Patrick Swayze, looking like he did.

Angel Tupai - “I Want to Know What Love Is” (Foreigner)
This was okay, but another opportunity lost methinks. She really should've sung Aretha Franklin's "Freeway of Love" or any number of hits by The Eurythmics.

Nathaniel Willemse - “What’s Love Got To Do With It” (Tina Turner)
This sounds like a street busker performance. Big step backwards for him.
On second thought ... nah, this song choice still sucked.

Fourtunate - “How Will I Know” (Whitney Houston)
Another song choice that's plain nuts. With shocking song choices like these, it's for sure none of these judges should EVER produce their own records.

Bella Ferraro - “99 Red Balloons” (Nena)
Best vocal she's done since the audition. Could've used much more confidence & at least a smidgeon of stage presence.

Samantha Jade - “You Can’t Hurry Love” (The Supremes/Phil Collins)
The breath control was borderline problematic at times, but overall she did a good job here.
The only really enjoyable performance of the night so far, and we're closer to the end than the beginning already.
As a point of comparison, it would've been interesting to see Sophia from Three Wishez do this performance.

Shiane Hawke - “True Colours” (Cyndi Lauper)
This is bad, even by Shiane's normally low standards. Cyndi Lauper will need a new TV if she watches this.

The Collective - “Like A Prayer” (Madonna)
Easily the best performance of the night, and I don't even like boybands.
It did channel "Backstreet's Back" a bit like Guy said, but that's one of best boyband songs so it's not bad to channel that.

Re: Aus X Factor Top 8 - 80s week

BJKAAVE
This post was updated on .
Ah, Sophia as a soloist!  What a missed opportunity there.  She would have vastly improved last year's Girls category, infact  she could replace Bella or Shiane and improve this year's one as well.

Re: Aus X Factor Top 8 - 80s week

Martin
This post was updated on .
Results Show

Jay Sean (dude, your name is spelt wrong!) performs with the Top 8 - bleh, I absolutely hate these RNB & rap artists who go around feat.-ing each other, and this guy is one of the worst offenders.

Reece Mastin performs his new single - is this a rent-a-crowd or what? What's with all the screaming? This is not very good.

Decision time - nearly need a new TV again as that damned Shiane escapes the bottom 2 yet again. I swear, the first time she lands in it she is GONE!
It would be unbelievable how the bottom 2 could be the best 2 vocalists in the competition (Samantha & Angel), but years of seeing viewers abuse themselves by keeping in the bad singers have made me just take this as another sign of the apocalypse.

Psy performs "Gangnam Style", and it was epic. Worth watching the whole show just for this. Martin Place is going to shake tomorrow morning with his guest performance for Sunrise.

Singoff time, and Angel goes first with Pink's "Family Portrait". This is quite a powerful performance and the best she's done in a while, which is actually saying something.

But then Samantha Jade comes out and did a song called "I Will Be" by Leona Lewis. I've not actually heard this song before, but Samantha was just STELLAR with it.

Both singoffs were good, but whereas Angel's was strong like a semi-final performance, Samantha's was akin to a grand final winner's single, not only strong but special.

I'm thinking the singoffs probably don't matter to the final outcome this week, since if you're with the only mentor with all their acts remaining and you land in the bottom 2, you're pretty much cursed. Mel B surprises me though by making it go to a deadlock, where Angel hears the dreaded news that she got the least votes - neither of these girls deserved to hear that. A very unjust outcome overall, but one I prefer out of her & Samantha.

Re: Aus X Factor Top 8 - 80s week

BJKAAVE
Huh, well I suppose I shouldn't be surprised at all...

The group number with jay Sean was decent as far as group numbers go I guess, I haven't paid the group song's uch attention this season so they could be bad for all I know, although they can't be trainwrecks like some of last year's, I think I would definetly hear that.

It's really sad that I have actually heard some people describe Reece Mastin's songs as real rock music, that's all I have to say on the matter.

Results time!  Fourtunate and Shiane are safe, which is not really surpising, however disapointing it may be.  I have nothing against Shiane personally, and I would hate to see such a sweet young girl have her dreams crushed on live TV, but I really don't want to see or hear her again, she's not improving at all, she's rapidly getting worse.
Nathaniel and The Collective are safe, as is Bella.  The final act safe is Jason and in a sadly poredictable outcome, Angel and Samantha are in the bottom two.  They are both crying, and to be honest I feel like crying for them both right now!

The less said about that Gangnum Style guy the better, I hate that he has a hit song while we will probably never hear from Angel ever again.

Angel sings Family Portrait and it's a great performance, but it makes me sad that she is up against the other best singer in the comp, and I was fearful for her at this point since Guy's Boys were allowed to stay intact for so long last year, they definetly don't want a judge to have all their acts still in while another has lost all their's again this year, which sucks because she was the strongest in her category!

Samantha comes out and sings I Will BE fantastically, I don't have much more to add to this.

Guy and Nat vote predictably, Ronan votes to send home Angel and I really hope he is hit by a bus!  Grrr, I hate him even more for his reaction when he was announced as the favourite judge to win by a landslide, I don't even care how unfair it would be to his acts, I want them both in the bottom two next week (slim chanve of that though, through all my rage I still have to kep a grip on reality).  Mel votes to send home Samantha and it's deadlock!  Angel recieved the fewest votes and is heading home!  I feel like crying over this, it was so sad to see her go while Shiane and Jason are still around, but she got the fewest votes, that's how it goes.

Making it to the end of this season is gonna be a massive test for me!

Re: Aus X Factor Top 8 - 80s week

Martin
Samantha inspired me to check out Leona Lewis' original version of "I Will Be", and I gotta say, Samantha did better!

That's some feat, outsinging one of the premier vocalists in the world, on her own song.

Re: Aus X Factor Top 8 - 80s week

BJKAAVE
I know, I just downloaded Leona's version and I prefer Samantha's!  I had only heard the song once briefly before when it played during the clip of the X factor Uk Girls final boot camp decision this year.  Shame that Sami will probably go next week or the week after.