Aus X Factor Top 6

Martin
Tonight's songs are:

Bella Ferraro - “Sweet Disposition” (The Temper Trap)
Shiane Hawke - “Shine” (Vanessa Amorosi)
Jason Owen - “What’s My Scene” (Hoodoo Gurus)
Samantha Jade - “UFO” (Sneaky Sound System)
Nathaniel Willemse - “Red” (Daniel Merriweather)
The Collective - “Incredible” (Timomatic)

Re: Aus X Factor Top 6

Martin
Samantha Jade - “UFO” (Sneaky Sound System)
This was great, top shelf once again from Sammi. I'd pay to see that!

Shiane Hawke - “Shine” (Vanessa Amorosi)
From the sublime to the ridiculous. Nat wants us to have "the moment" with this performance form Shiane??? Would that be the moment we lose our ability to hold in the vomit, or the moment that we realise Shiane will NEVER be even 10% as good as Vanessa Amorosi? You gotta be kidding to ask a record company exec to put her out there against what's in the market.

The Collective - “Incredible” (Timomatic)
The opening was a terrible mess. It got a bit better, but I actually don't think this song is very good, even though Timomatic performs the hell out of it himself, but that's his quality.
The judges giving them a hard time will probably just make their fans vote particularly hard this week, so I doubt they'll be in any danger THIS week. Next week though, is another matter.

Nathaniel Willemse - “Red” (Daniel Merriweather)
Guy talks about this song cracking the top 5 in the UK like that's any indication of the quality of the song. Puh-lease! I don't even have to look it up to know for a certainty that plenty of outright junk make it much higher than 5 on the UK chart!
This song is a bit self-indulgent I think. Maybe Guy or Nathaniel really likes it, but I don't see it as a vote-getter. The performance wasn't bad, but it wasn't so great as to compensate for a lame-ass song. The best thing about it was the crowd comment during Ronan's judging actually.

Looking at who's left, I'm tempted to just switch off now. But I know you'd be disappointed if I quit Blake, so I'll watch and review it just for you.

Bella Ferraro - “Sweet Disposition” (The Temper Trap)
While I thought she deserved to stay over Fourtunate last week, that's not really saying a lot.
It's not hard to imagine this song done in an airy, half-baked Florence Welch kind of way actually, and she didn't disappoint on that score. Magical? Hardly! I might watch this again - if you pay me!

Jason Owen - “What’s My Scene” (Hoodoo Gurus)
His voice is a mismatch for the original version, yet he insists on doing it just like that. It sounded like karaoke at a pub to me, admitted probably one of the less drunken singers at one of them. For a TV singing show though, it was complete crap.

Overall...
After another sub-par performance from Nathaniel, I'm losing hope in him again. Still expect The Collective will be at the end, and hoping (perhaps unrealistically) that Sammi will win. In any case, Sammi and The Collective are the only ones I can see having any success after the show, performing exactly as they are. I'll add Bella to that mix as an indy act if she can improve a fair bit in years to come, although she's way too wobbly now.

Re: Aus X Factor Top 6

BJKAAVE
Hmm, no you can quite if you like Martin, once Sami leaves, I think this season will become a giant bag of ass.

Re: Aus X Factor Top 6

Martin
What I'd like to see from the results shows is Key-Dollar-Ha! to come here & say what we've all been thinking - geez girl! I was really wrong about you, you've really let yourself go! If I'd have signed you I would've had to fire you by now. No chance of that, but I can dream.

Re: Aus X Factor Top 6

Martin
This post was updated on .
The Results Show (of doom)

The finalists & 2 DJs calling themselves Silver Sneakerz do a rendition of Noiseworks' "Touch". This was a great reworking of what was already a good song, and Jason looks to fit the mould particularly well.

Little Mix come out to perform their current single "Wings". I really want to like these girls, but this song is not very good. The overblown screaming from the audience served only to drive up my annoyance factor.

Results time
, and wouldn't you know it, Shitane and and other worst performer Jason are announced as safe before I can even get any hopes up that we can finally get rid of them. I'd been expecting all day that the final 2 might be Nathaniel and Bella, and Bella might escape again and get an even bigger round of hate tweets this week. But instead of Bella it's Sammi. What???

For the rest of the show I'm thinking that if Sammi left tonight, I will probably do an unprecedented thing for me and quit watching a singing show, and not only that but as early as the top 6.

Ellie Goulding performs one of her songs, and she's looking and sounding like a singing show contestant, and not even one of the great ones at that. Most of Sammi's performances on the show have been better than this.

In the sing-off, Sammi comes out first and does "At Last". Now, only the really good and confident singers do this song on the singing shows, and even then off the top of my head I cannot recall a single one who's done better than this version from Sammi, vocally. Performance wise she did look a bit annoyed and defeated, as Mel will allude to, but can you blame her?

Nathaniel follows up with "Sexual Healing", and it's one of the few performances he's done on the show where he goes straight from awful to awesome.

Judges' decision, and you'd think with Sammi actually taking the judges' critiques and using it to better herself, the decision should be clear. But Nat and Mel somehow find a way to vote against her. Guy got to send this to a deadlock, and who knows which way it will end up. Maybe Luke will pull a swifty and announce that polling the least votes, and therefore leaving the show, is... Shitane! Damn I wish.
Nathaniel actually got the least votes, which means I won't quit watching the show just yet anyway. And it's probably not bad for Sammi that Ronan seems solidly in her corner as well as Guy, so unless the bottom 2 was her and The Collective, she *should* make the finals. Fingers crossed anyway.

Let's hope though that Samantha doesn't find herself in the final and has already fired all her best shots in these sing-off song choices. That would be a shame because her sing-offs have truly been spectacular.

Next week it's the judges picking for each other's contestants week, so all the acts not normally mentored by Mel will get to experience just how crap she is at picking songs. I think it's a damned stupid theme actually, as all the judges will just be whining and making excuses all night long.

Re: Aus X Factor Top 6

BJKAAVE
Well I wouldn't wish any more death threats on Bella, that would be terrible and there really are some sad and pathetic people watching this show, aren't there?

However, I did have a chuckle at a show that presents deluded and mentally ill people before the public both on stage and television for audiences to laugh at in the audition stages when they could just cut them at the producer's cattle calls, blast cyber bullying without a trace of irony!