American Idol Top 10 Girls

BJKAAVE
So, the show is pushing for a female winner this year, and I'm all for that after five years of white guys with guitars winning by a landslide!  However, this is an average group of female contestants!
I feel that the show missed a trick last year by not pushing for one of Season 11's girls to win the show, because there was a much deeper pool of talent among the females last year.  I know that they are trying to stack the deck with mediocre to abysmal guys to guarantee a female winner, but I actually doubt that will work.  None of the guys so far have actually been as bad as last year's winner Phillip Phillips, and none of the girls have been as good as Jessica Sanchez yet.  If Phillip could beat out Jessica, then I can see one of the guys this season beating out all of these girls.

So you could probably have guessed that I have been underwhelmed so far with this season of American Idol, which is a shame since it is the first season in a long time that I have been able to watch the show on tv rather than follow it through YouTube.  Hopefully it will pick up once we get to the Top 10 or 12 or however many they are going to have this year (they will most likely throw in a wildcard round if there favourites don't get the votes to proceed, espite earlier claims that there wouldn't be one).
Maybe I was just spoiled last year with Samantha Jade being a perfect example of what a winner of one of these shows should be, so I will still hold out some small hope for this season.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings, on with the performances!

1. Zoanette Johnson: What's Love Got to Do With It by Tina Turner

Wow, so I guess production is done with Zoanette's schtick now, what with making her go first and all.
Firstly, what an awful song choice!  It continues to baffle me that contestants don't do their research before making song selections.  Nobody has ever been successful performing this song on American Idol, and plenty have attempted it, and everyone who has tried it has either been eliminated oir been in the bottom three, and given that Zoanette would need to be in the Top 5 vote getters to advance, it doesn't look too promising for her.
Secondly, the singing was just abysmal.  I felt like I was watching a parody.  She also seemed to be making the words up as she went along, soit all just added up to an absolute trainwreck.  It was rather funny to hear the judges point out NOW that her singing wasn't up to scratch.  Nicki even said "for that song you needed to be, like, on key and everything".  Uh, I would say that you needed to be on key for every f***ing song you sing!
She looked ridiculos as always, as Joe Crisco (one of my facebook friends who reviews the show on YouTube) stated in his review this week "her hairl still looked like she purchased it from the discount rack at the Halloween store".  Hopefully this is the last we see of Zoanette.

2. Breanna Steer: Flaws and All by Beyonce

I swear, if it isn't an overdone song, its a totally obscure one!  Breanna sounded pretty nice, but this was extremely boring.  Keith has a feeling that she will be voted through, unfortunately I have to agree with Nicki on this one, I don't think she should get too comfortable.
I actually understood Mariah's point about the song choice not really being right for this kind of sudden death semi final format, however, she didn't really articulate it well, did she?

3. Aubrey Cleland: Big Girls Don't Cry by Fergie

I do think that Aubrey is one of the more current girls this season, but her placing in the show could cause her to be lost in the shuffle.  I also don't think she sang as well as she did last week.

4. Janelle Arthur: If I Can Dream by Elvis Presley

So, she decides to give serious thought to her song choice after last weeks lacklustre performance, and this is what she comes up with?!  I thought she was either flat or pitchy at any given moment and  don't think she is a shoo in to  make the finals like she seemed to be during the Hollywood rounds.

5. Stacy Francis..., oh wait Tenna Torres: Lost by Faith Hill

Sorry, she really could be Stacy's twin!  Not just in the looks department but vocally too, she has the same shrill whiny voice!  I must have been hearing something completely different from what the judges were, because this was a hot mess and a half from my point of view!

6. Angie Miller: Never Gone by Colton Dixon

Okay, I don't mind hearing a song covered that I've never heard before if it is sung flawlessly!  Angie is definitely moving up on my radar, it didn't really wake the show up from the ballad fest of the first round, but this was so poised and polished that I cannot fault it!  I know this is a christian song and I'm not really into that, but it wasn't an over the top religious song, so I didn't mind it for once.  At least Angie isn't one of these singers trying to push her faith down everyone's throat, she seems to be subtle about it and staying true to herself without beating us over the head with her religious views.

7. Amber Holcomb: I Believe in You and Me by The Four Tops (Whitney Houston version)

Well, her phrasig has certainly improved since her last performance, so that's good to hear.  Her vocal was once again great, I'm not sure it warranted a standing ovation, but then the standards aren't really that high this year, so whatever.

8. Kree Harrison: Stronger by Faith Hill

Kree does pull off the country thing pretty well and she sounded great as usual, but I heard that she can bring the "rock Chick" thing from people who have watched her YouTube video's.  I hope she does that at some point, I would much prefer that to the country thing (but that's just a personal bias though, I can appreciate country, but I am curious about her supposed rock side) and it's not like any of the other girls can pull that off, from what we have seen so far.
Side note: by "rock chick, I mean how this show percieves them, I mean nobody really expects real full on rock chicks to actually audition for these shows...

9. Adrianna Latonio: Stand Up for Love by Destiny's Child

As with her last performance, Adrianna just mumbled flatly until the end, where she belted out a very impressive long, high note.  It's all well and good to be able to hit high notes and all, but I don't want to be hanging out for the end of a performance just to hear them, disregarfding the rest of the song.
Side note: Randy, SHUT UP ABOUT MOMENTS!!!!!!  I swear, if it were up to him, there would just be twenty divas up there screaming their lungs out!

10. Candice Glover: Ordinary People by John Legend

Well, this was an improvement as a song choice over Natural Woman, so hopefully Candice is on an upwards trajectory in regards to selecting songs to perform.  Shge sounded great, as always and she has the potential to become my favourite, but I do need to hear some better songs from her than what we have heard so far.

So after all that, I don't really expect any of these girls to ever recieve Jessica Mauboy or Samantha Jade levels of adoration from me, it's still early but I won't be holding my breath for someone to become one of my all time favourites.  Then again, nobody is joining Shiane Hawke or Frankie Cocozza in the dank pit of irredeemable awfulness yet either, so that's a plus, I guess.  Sadly though, I think it's more likely that someone from this season will end up joining the latter status....

PS: Here's a link to Joe Crisco's (AKA Hotelangel's) YouTube channel where he makes reviews for these types of shows, his video's would be more interesting to watch than mine are to read and I usually agree with what he says, so hopefully others will enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/feed/UCAlKbo6uaTVjJvN9Zl77STw

Re: American Idol Top 10 Girls

Martin
1. Zoanette Johnson: What's Love Got to Do With It by Tina Turner
I tried to make "What The $#@! Was That?" fit with the tune, but it wouldn't, quite. Nonetheless, that describes my sentiments about her performance exactly. Her woeful attempts at ad-libbing reminded me of Fantasia Barino, only Zoanette was waaaaaayyyyy worse. And I hated Fantasia Barino! Out of 10 I would give this a -9.5.

2. Breanna Steer: Flaws and All by Beyonce
I dislike the song, but because Breanna got really caught up in the song and performed it well, I was captivated.

3. Aubrey Cleland: Big Girls Don't Cry by Fergie
This song really needs a mature voice to bring it out, and while Aubrey was much better than Lana Krost who did it on Australian Idol a few years ago, she's still a very long way short of Fergie.
Aubrey does have a very enjoyable tone and she might knock my socks off, just not with this song.

4. Janelle Arthur: If I Can Dream by Elvis Presley
I so wanted to love this performance. It's my favorite Elvis song and it looked like an inspired song choice by her on paper. But the whole time she was singing I was just thinking she should've chosen something by a female artist like Reba McIntyre instead.

5. Tenna Torres: Lost by Faith Hill
Surely Faith Hill's original version wasn't this whiney! Times like this I really want to kill Simon Cowell for America's misplaced obsession with vocal gymnastics and big notes! Even if it's not his fault originally, he makes a convenient target, no?

6. Angie Miller: Never Gone by Colton Dixon
Pretty easy and safe song, and I don't think anyone will look back on this and call it a standout performance of the whole season, but I think she did enough to continue on the same trajectory.

7. Amber Holcomb: I Believe in You and Me by The Four Tops (Whitney Houston version)
I gave her a standing ovation. Brilliant song choice and PERFECT performance!

8. Kree Harrison: Stronger by Faith Hill
She could've easily done Carrie Underwood instead and appeared more current. What the hell is she wearing again? That get-up is going to cost her votes she can't afford to be losing. Probably on the cusp of either scraping through to the top 10 or just missing out.

9. Adrianna Latonio: Stand Up for Love by Destiny's Child
Her breath is a bit short throughout, which could just be a sign of her vocal chords not being mature. Not very convincing performance for me.

10. Candice Glover: Ordinary People by John Legend
Good song choice on paper, but actually I forgot how boring the verses are. She's exactly the kind of singer their audience, and Randy, want & react to - so, she should win the show hands down, right?

Re: American Idol Top 10 Girls

BJKAAVE
Martin wrote
[...]

Quoted from:
http://unofficial-x-factor-australia-forums.2303350.n4.nabble.com/American-Idol-Top-10-Girls-tp4650644p4650647.html

1. Yeah, it was awful, wasn't it?

5. Sure, why not make Simon a target?  He also ruined Melanie Amaro's career by letting her sign to LA Reid's label after X Factor, but that's for another time...

10. I wouldn't mind Candice wining personally, but I don't see it happening.  Then again, I was happy to be proven wrong about Samantha Jade's chances of winning X Factor last year, so who knows?

Speaking of which, Miss Sammi Jade needs to get a move on and put out a new single sometime soon, no?

Re: American Idol Top 10 Girls

Martin
Did you catch Samantha Jade singing "My Island Home" on the Australia Day flag raising ceremony on ABC1?

Re: American Idol Top 10 Girls

BJKAAVE
No I didn't actually, I will have to YouTube it?  Was it good?  (Stupid question probably)

I have liked her on facebook, so I get to keep up to date with what she is up to, but a release date for a follow up single would come in handy right now.
At least she is out there performing and not being kept hidden away like Melanie Amaro, which felt a bit like sabotage on behalf of LA Reid..., but yeah, as said earlier, that's a whole other story...

Re: American Idol Top 10 Girls

Martin
It was good for an open-air live performance with no acoustics to speak of - she would compare favorably against anyone but Christine Anu's studio version.